The Ministry of Health has confirmed the fourth Coronavirus case in the country after a patient who traveled from London into the country tested positive.
Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe while addressing journalist in Nairobi on Tuesday said the patient had been isolated at a private hospital facility.
He said over twenty suspected cases were still being quarantined awaiting test results from the National Influenza Centre.
“Today we have received confirmation of another case of the Coronavirus following tests carried out on a patient in one of our private facilities. This now brings the number of confirmed cases of the Coronavirus in the country to four,” said the Health CS.
23 people who had been placed under quarantine were released after testing negative for the virus.
Kagwe said the patient had travelled from London, United Kingdom on March 8 and arrived in the country the following day.
He said the government had since launched an operation to trace all the people who might have interacted with the patient so as to contain the spread of the virus.
“Tracing of persons who may have come into contact with the patient is ongoing,” he said.
He said, 23 people who came into contact with a Kenyan student who was the first to be confirmed with Coronavirus in Kenya have been discharged from Mbagathi hospital, after they tested negative.
“Results of the 25 plus and additional 23 other persons who have been tested have all turned negative. All the 23 are from Mbagathi hospital. We have cleared them to self-quarantine at home,” he said.
He said the government has so far tested 111 cases since the pandemic was first confirmed.
COVID-19 has killed over 7,000 worldwide.