Officials from Sudan’s transitional authorities and rebel groups from Darfur have agreed that those wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) for crimes in the region should appear before the tribunal.
Authorities said the ex-president Omar Al Bashir, and others should appear before the court to face genocide and war crimes charges.
The announcement was made on Tuesday in Juba, the capital of the neighboring South Sudan, where the two sides are engaged in peace talks.
Bashir is accused of serious crimes in a conflict that broke out in Darfur in 2003 and led to the deaths of 300,000.
“We can only achieve justice if we heal the wounds … and we cannot escape from facing these … without the appearance of those against whom arrest warrants were issued by the International Criminal Court,” Mohamed Hassan al-Taishi, a member of Sudan’s sovereign council, told reporters.
Bashir, who refused to recognize the authority of the court when he was charged for crimes in the region in 2009, was ousted as president in April last year.
Al-Bashir 76 years of age was sentenced in December by a court in the capital, Khartoum, to two years’ detention in a correctional center for corruption in the first of several cases against him. Under Sudanese law, people over the age of 70 cannot serve jail terms.
He also faces trials or investigations over the killing of protesters and his role in the 1989 coup that brought him to power.
Along with al-Bashir, the ICC indicted two other senior officials: Abdelrahim Mohamed Hussein, who was interior and defense minister during much of the conflict, and Ahmed Haroun, a senior security chief at the time who last month was named by al-Bashir to run the ruling National Congress Party.