Despite promises that the Likoni channel recovery mission was going to be officially closed on Thursday after a successful retrieval of bodies of Mum and daughter, the promise never materialised.
Government Spokesperson Retired Colonel Cyrus Oguna cited strong tides under the under the Ocean that affected the whole process.
While addressing journalists at the Likoni channel Thursday evening, Oguna said it isn’t an easy process and the multi-agency operations are being conducted in a high well planned procedure.
He said a total of 8 divers are conducting the exercise and when the ocean calms, the bodies of Mariam Kighenda and Amanda Mutheu will be retrieved.
“We have confirmed that the car sighted at the base of the Indian Ocean is the one that plunged in the Indian Ocean on September 29, and the two bodies are still in the car,” confirmed Oguna.
He said the family has been kept abreast of the whole process and frequently updated on the issue.
He said the divers are doing whatever possible to retrieve the two bodies and the car.
“If by Friday the situation in the Indian Ocean will be the same, we will be forced to employ other different tactics so as to end the long wait especially for the family,” he said.
However the family has expressed dissatisfaction over the slavish manner in which the recovery operations have been conducted.
[Mariam Kighenda with her daughter Amanda Mutheu. Photo/courtesy].
Family Spokesperson Luka Mbati revealed that the process is taking long than usual and should be hastened.
“In case the multi-agency operations team is defeated, we will understand and as a family we will appeal for more assistance, let them be frank to us,” said Mr. Mbati.
The salon car plunged into the Indian Ocean after it slipped back on board MV- Harambee.
The recovery operation has been ongoing, however it has so far yielded nothing.
Kenyans have strongly criticised the Kenya Ferry Services for laxity and failing to employ qualified disaster response team at the busy Likoni Channel.