Home News Changamwe tout died of multiple injuries, pathologists say as MUHURI threatens suit

Changamwe tout died of multiple injuries, pathologists say as MUHURI threatens suit

[Government pathologist Dr. Johansen Oduor addressing Journalists at the CPGH morgue on Tuesday. Photo/Maxwell Ngala]

Caleb Espino who was arrested September 18, booked at Changamwe police station and later pronounced dead, succumbed to multiple injuries, pathologists have said.

The autopsy on the body of the 40-year-old tout was carried out by government chief pathologist Johansen Oduor, Emilly Odhiambo from Independent Medical Legal Unit (IMLU) and two others from Coast Provincial General Hospital (CPGH).

Muslims for Human Rights (MUHURI) picked up the case last month and successfully pushed for the six-hour postmortem that was done on Tuesday at CPGH morgue.

MUHURI has teamed up with the Independent Police Oversight Authority (IPOA) to ensure justice for Espino’s family is served.

Espino’s death under police custody has caused rage and storm.

Eye witnesses say he was kicked, clobbered and punched thoroughly by Changamwe cops while handcuffed from the back. He had been arrested with a colleague while drinking.

The death blow was meted out on Espino allegedly by a push from an officer that forced the late to hit a metal bar with his head. The fracas occurred inside the Changamwe police station, one witness said.

A preliminary autopsy report revealed deep injuries in Espino’s body led to massive internal bleeding.

Odhiambo, told journalists the conductor sustained severe head, backbone, chest and rib injuries that led to his death.


[ Deceased Caleb Espino. Photo/ Courtesy]

“We have taken samples that will be subjected to further tests in Nairobi and the final report might be out after three months,” Oduor said during a media briefing.

Oduor said that the document will be shared with IPOA officials, MUHURI and IMLU.

MUHURI Chairman Khelef Khalifa said they will take legal action if report reaffirms that Espino was physical tortured while under police hands.

Khalifa claimed police tried to block the postmortem.

“Police tried several times to interfere with the process, they threatened doctors over this matter. We will take legal action against all those involved including Changamwe police officers,” Khalifa said.

Otieno’s family led by Elisha Otieno appealed for justice for their kin.

Otieno refuted police claims that the deceased died at CPGH, insisting he was killed at Changamwe police station.

But Changamwe OCPD Peter Omanwa has absolved police from blame.

He said Espino was drunk and unconscious before police rushed him to CPGH “where he succumbed”.

IPOA’s investigation is still on.