Home News Gov’t official linked to Kinango land grabbing saga

Gov’t official linked to Kinango land grabbing saga

276
0
[Resident Hamis Lewa addressing journalists at Mwamdudu area after demolitions. Photo/Ahmed Omar].

Hundreds of families left homeless after the demolition of houses in Kinango Sub-county, Kwale County on Friday last week are now appealing to the government to help them repossess their land from a private developer.

The 200 families from Mwamdudu in Bonje are now accusing a private developer of colluding with top government officials and with unscrupulous individuals to grab their ancestral land.

The residents said they couldn’t salvage anything as the demolition caught them unprepared and condemned that act calling it inhumane and a violation of human rights and access to justice.

Among the destroyed are Mwamdudu secondary school, a dispensary, a children orphanage and houses.

Government official

Led by a resident Ramadhan Lewa they denied a report the villagers had entered into consent with the company but declined to name the top government official behind the land scandal saying it is in the public domain.

He added that as far as they were concerned the 64 villagers who entered consent with the proxy company were busybodies.

“I wish to insist that we were never consulted in the sale of the land to the private developer,” he pointed out.

The residents are now appealing to President Uhuru Kenyatta to intervene so that they can get back the land.

Lewa told journalists the Head of State is the only person who can salvage the situation arguing that this is because a top government official is involved in the scam.

He was addressing journalists at Bonje village in Kinango constituency where they resolved to stay put and face the consequences in the cold.

The local resident alleged those who carried out the demolition exercise with hired goons were officers from the General Service Unit [GSU] and not regular police.

Inhuman

Ms. Salama Kenga, a single mother said they are spending cold nights with their children outside their demolished structure and appealed for government intervention.

[Mwanahamisi Ramadhan with her young family after their house was demolished. Photo/Ahmed Omar].

Mwanahamisi Ramadhan, a 24 years old mother of three children said she was not able to salvage any property but only managed to rescue her three children including a one-day child she had given birth to the day the demolitions were conducted.

The distraught mother says she is surviving on handouts from well-wishers to feed her young family and is sleeping outside in the cold with her newborn baby.