Home News Kwale family of four burnt to death

Kwale family of four burnt to death

610
0
[A photo of Kisima Chande fire incident. Photo/Courtesy].

A family of four in Taru area, Kinango, in Kwale county, perished on Friday night after their house was razed down by a fire.

The family of four, a woman and her three children were burnt to death after their house was razed down.

According to police, the four family members were identified as Samia Kikoi, 32, Husnein Hussein, 10, Mulhat Hussein, 6, and Ilham Hussein, aged 1 year old.

Police who rushed to the scene could not immediately establish the cause of the fire, however, locals say a candle might be the cause of the inferno.

The father was not at home during the incident.

Efforts

Locals struggled to put out the fire but already the four lives had been lost.

The bodies were taken to Kinango Subcounty hospital morgue.

Police are investigating the incident.

A community activist Hussein Mgandi Kaingu said locals united to put out the fire using water and twigs, unsuccessful.

Disaster preparedness

Meanwhile, Mgandi has appealed to the Kwale county government to initiate a well-equipped disaster management team so as to contain such ugly incidents and save lives.

“Not only fire incidents but also locals have lost lives after falling into ditches excavated by the Chinese contractors but nothing tangible has been done to either seal or fence them,” noted Mr Mgandi.

Mgandi said Kwale county needs a holistic approach to disaster preparedness so as to save lives.

“We need standby fire engines especially in growing towns among them Taru, Mackinnon Road and Samburu which are along the Mombasa-Nairobi highway,” noted the human rights defender.

The incident comes barely a week after a fire incident rendered nine families homeless after their houses were gutted down at Kisima Chande in Msambweni Subcounty.

Property worth millions were destroyed after a supermarket and restaurant caught fire in Ukunda, Kwale County.

During last week’s incident, Kwale county depended on Mombasa fire extinguishers to manage the fire.