A man accused of strangling Mombasa resident along Mombasa-Malindi road, will be sentenced on April 8, this year.
Ngira Karisa admitted that he strangled Isaac Kassim and entered into plea-bargain with the prosecution on January 19, this year.
He was hired to commit the offence on March 8, 2018.
A report from Probation Department advised Karisa be handed a sentence of not less than 10 years.
On Monday, Karisa pleaded for a lenient sentence of not more than four years.
He said his family depends on him and that he has kids to take to school.
The probation report concluded that it does not favor non-custodial sentence.
Presiding judge Erick Ogola said he was not bound to the conclusion.
Karisa was charged alongside Eddlied Mandi and Makonde Ruwa.
Mandi and Ruwa pleaded not guilty.
A third suspect, Katana Karisa, is on the run, a warrant of the arrest was issued last year.
The family of the late Kassim is represented by rights group Muslims for Human Rights -MUHURI through lawyer Salim Wampy.
Kassim tendered with Mombasa and Kilifi counties.
His body was found dumped in a thicket near Malindi after he was strangled with a rope over an alleged tender debt.
Police accused Mandi of hiring the hitmen.
State and MUHURI had opposed the release of the suspects on bond.