Mvita Member of Parliament Abdulswamad Sharif Nasir has appealed for more time for the affected Buxton residents to vacate the houses being demolished.
This is after Mombasa high court ruled in favour of the contractor in a case filed by a section of tenants who opposed the project.
High court judge Justice Silas Munyao said the court could not stop the project since it is among other 10 projects being undertaken by the Mombasa County government to face-lift the county residential houses.
“This project was given a nod in 2016 and the court cannot stop such a noble development project since the contractor conducted adequate public participation,” he told the court earlier last week.
Each tenant is to be paid shillings 240,000.
However, Mr. Nassir insists that though locals are ready to vacate the houses they need more time.
Nassir said no one is against the project, however, all the tenants’ concerns should be conclusively addressed.
“None of us is objecting any form of development project in Mombasa. However, the human angle must be considered before the take-off,” said Nassir.
All the illegal structures erected in between the houses were brought down on Friday and on Saturday afternoon, bulldozers descended on the Buxton flats within Mombasa Island.
The contractor will build at least 1,860 units after a demolition of the already existing 502 houses.
The flats consists of one and two bedroom units.
The tenants used to pay 2,800 and 3,662 for one and two bedroom unit respectively.
Locals have been complaining that the project is being executed even before they could appeal last week’s ruling at the high court.
Demolitions entered day three on Sunday despite the concerns from tenants.
Other Mombasa County estates to be brought down are Khadija, Tudor, Makande, Changamwe, Likoni among others.
The estates according to the county government are inhabitable.